1) CONSTRUCTION COST CALCULATOR
Ballpark construction costs can be calculated on a square foot basis.
All square feet are not created equally, for example:
- kitchens cost significantly more than bedrooms
- highly detailed work costs more than minimally detailed work
- granite tops cost more than formica (obviously), but may be cheaper than some composites!
But the following broad price ranges can be predicted:
- Residential, New Construction: $150 to $350 per square foot.
- Residential, Remodeling: $100 to $300 per square foot.
- Commercial, New Construction: $100 to $200 per square foot.
- Commercial, Remodeling: $50 to $150 per square foot.
Major factors that influence the cost include:
- The size of your project. The efficiency phenomenon know as "economy-of-scale" actually makes a larger project more economical to build (per square foot) than a smaller project.
- Your "quality" expectations for material selections.
- Your "level-of-detail" expectations for the drawings.
2) ARCHITECTURAL FEE CALCULATOR
Ballpark architectural fees can be calculated on a sliding scale, parallel with construction cost "economy-of-scale" and "level-of-detail" predictions.
For construction costs under $100,000 the architectural fee may be 5.5%+
- If construction cost is $100,000 to $200,000 architectural fee may be 5.0%+
- If construction cost is $200,000 to $400,000 architectural fee may be 4.5%+
- If construction cost is $400,000 to $600,000 architectural fee may be 4.0%+
- If construction cost is $600,000 to $800,000 architectural fee may be 3.5%+
- If construction cost is $800,000 to 1.0 million architectural fee may be 3.0%+
- If construction cost is 1.0 to 1.5 million the architectural fee may be 2.75%+
- If construction cost is 1.5 to 2.0 million the architectural fee may be 2.5%+
These numbers represent a "typical" package of preliminary design, design development, and construction document drawings. Your needs may vary...see my services page.